Monday, April 14, 2008

Alyannah's First Taste of Real Thai Cuisine

After my last post on Eating Dinner, Bangkok Style, Pat told me that my next project should be street food. She's right; we've never really sampled authentic Thai cuisine mainly because Richard and I are not sure if Alyannah will like it. There was a time when we ate at a Mexican place, Sunrise Tacos, and Yan didn't like the burrito that we ordered. It can be stressful and frustrating when you want your child to eat but she cannot tell you exactly what she wants! That's why when we eat out, we would choose the "safe" restaurants. These are the ones that she's familiar with (like McDonald's + KFC) or those with fried chicken, pizza or pasta on the menu. I know that our Bangkok experience will not be complete without sampling the cuisine (street food included!) that a lot of people are raving about. Sooner or later, Yan will have to say goodbye to Ronald and Col. Sanders and say hello to curry, noodles and chili! Richard and I will just have to do it little by little. The only question is how and when.


The perfect opportunity arrived when we went to the Platinum Mall last Saturday (I love this mall! It's like 168 only bigger and better!). Our driver, Sangkom, dropped us off at the 7th floor which was right above the food court. It was a little past 11:00am when we arrived and we decided to have an early lunch to avoid the usual lunch crowd.


So for our first food court meal, we ordered --- fried chicken! At least it's not from McDonald's or KFC! Besides, the fried chicken that we ordered for Yan came with rice and soup (the one from Mcdo and KFC comes with fries). Okay, Yan's initiation is not a big debut as would be normally expected but it's a start!
Alyannah loved the fried chicken! She said it was perfect!
I got the roasted chicken with rice and soup. The soup tasted like tinola. I also like the rice because it was malasa and buhaghag (just the way I like my rice), like it was cooked in broth or was it just the variety that they used?
Richard got this spicy noodle soup with beef brisket. Notice the chili on top?
And for dessert, we got sticky rice with mango. Super yummy! The sticky rice is like suman with gata and a hint of salt. The mango was super sweet! When I saw the mango, I was nervous at first because it was light yellow in color. Parang maasim sya, but it was sweet! It's probably the sweetest mango I've ever tried!
Richard and I are very happy that Yan liked her meal. She finished everything! Walang natira. Looks like our girl is ready for some real Thai cusine so let's bring it on!





No comments: