Thursday, March 31, 2011

DIY Party Decorations

I told you a little bit about Aly's birthday banners here.  Since I received quite a few compliments about the lamp decoration that I made, I going to share it here with you.
a
a
Aly's birthday "chandelier"
a
a
The lamp "before"


a
For the paper garlands: Aly and I cut out pink and purple cardboard with craft scissors and taped them on white string.  I draped them around the lamp.  For the middle part, I printed a sort of birthday logo on white cardboard, cut with craft scissors again, glued them on the colored cardboard, taped on purple ribbon and placed them on the center of the lamp.
a
a
This was a sort of last-minute idea but I love the big difference that it made on the lamp: I printed some of my favorite photos of Aly on parchment paper and placed them around with double-sided tape.  Be sure to edit the photos first.  They should be high contrast and very sharp for better effect.
a
a
a
 a
 a
 a
 a
The lamp from different angles.
a
a
The rest of the party decor.
a
a
a
a
a
Birthday banner.
a
a
More paper garlands.
 a
a
a
a
I didn't spend a lot on these decorations, by the way.  I don't remember the exact amount, but probably Thb250 (Php350) tops.  Most of the items that we used are leftovers from past events: the string from last year's birthday parties, ribbons and parchment paper from our wedding (almost 4 years old!).  So it really pays to DIY some stuff because you get to save the leftovers and keep them for future use.  Aly and I need a bigger craft/art supplies box!  It's great too that my daughter loves doing crafts with me.  It makes the event more special even if the party is just for the three of us.  But hey, a celebration IS a celebration and what matters most is being with the people that you love, right?  Hope this helps! :)

No comments: