Thursday, July 31, 2008

Mommy Tools - Clothing Labels

Alyannah has a tendency to forget things. At the age of five. Can you believe it?!? She would often ask me where her toy/book/pencil/ruler/notebook is and I would always tell her that she should know where it is because she's the one using it. One time, when I picked her up from summer school, I noticed that her water bottle was missing so I asked her where she placed it. She just gave me a blank stare. Good thing her teacher was within earshot so she told me where Yan could have left it.
a
When they had a field trip to the IMAX theater to watch Kung Fu Panda, they were required to bring a jacket in case they feel cold. Knowing how forgetful my little girl is, I gave her specific instructions not to take off her jacket because I'm sure that she will forget about it especially when she starts playing. According to the teacher, Yan did keep her jacket on even while playing even when she was starting to sweat. The teacher told Yan to remove her jacket but she refused. Masunuring bata.
a
That's why I should label all her things so that in case it gets lost, especially in school, it can be returned to her. My original plan was to order iron-on labels for Alyannah's school uniforms online, but I found them too expensive (USD23 for a set of 50 + shipping costs). I also saw cheaper rates, but they do not ship internationally. Writing her name on the uniform was never an option because 1) I find it too tacky, 2) I can't bring myself to write on clothes with a permanent marker, and 3) it's too damn tacky! So what's a mom like me got to do?

a
Make the labels myself.
a
a
Materials: ribbon (I chose pink of course), thread and needle.
First, you write the name on the ribon using a pencil, then follow the pattern with the thread and needle.
a
Ginawa ko na lang Aly kasi kung Alyannah ang tatahiin ko, baka abutin ako ng pasko.
a
Here's how the labels look like after sewing them on the uniforms.
a
Side kwento: I remember when my mom told me the story behind my nickname. A lot of people used to ask me kasi why my nickname starts with a "K", when my real name starts with a "C". According to my mom, my original nickname was spelled "Chrisanne" -- it's a combination of my first two names (Christine Anne). Nung bata pa kasi ako at hindi pa uso ang computer, my mom had to make labels using a sticker and a pen. I can't remember exactly what those labels were for, basta I remember my mom getting tamad from writing so she shortened it. Thus, Chrisanne became Krisan.
a
Parang history repeated itself when I shortened Alyannah's name to Aly when I was making the labels. Iba na talaga pag tinatamad -- you learn to innovate. Hehe!

2 comments:

teacherpat said...

Kris! All that sewing lessons in gradeschool is coming in handy...what was her name??? Ms. Dillera? cross-stitch, backstitch, running stitch...hahahaha.

Domestic Goddess said...

Exactly! Alam mo, I was thinking about that when I was sewing the labels. Hahaha!

I think I used backstitch for this. Hahaha!

Gosh, I remember tuloy 3rd year highschool when we first learned how to use the sewing machine. Naalala mo yun? Instead na forward, paatras yung andar ng tela. I bet you don't know how to thread a sewing machine na. Ako hindi na.