Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Life of a Toyota Wife



Richard flew to Manila yesterday for a weeklong business trip. So Yan and I will be home alone for the next couple of days. Bummer. This is going to be one very long week for me.


You know, I should be getting used to my husband's business trips by now. He's been going in and out of the country for as long as I can remember. But I guess the fact that we are thousands of miles away from home with no family and friends makes being left behind more difficult for me.


When Richard went home last Monday to tell me that his trip has been confirmed, I was stunned. It felt like a ton of bricks fell from the ceiling and landed on top of me. That's how bad I felt and my husband probably felt really sorry for me so he told me that Yan and I can come with him. I should be thrilled, but the thing is, this trip's confirmation was so last minute that we didn't have any room for it in our budget. After making a mental computation of the expenses that our trip will incur, I decided to stay at home instead. Besides, my friends will be arriving in a couple of days so it shouldn't be so bad.


Still, I feel bad. Before leaving the house yesterday, I gave Richard a big hug and asked him not to go (it's a long shot, but what the heck?) and he told me, "I'll be back before you know it. You should just go shopping para malibang kayo". That's sweet, but suddenly the thought of going shopping even with my husband's blessing does not excite me. I'm going to miss him a lot. I already do.


You see, the best part of my day is sometime between 6:30 and 7:30 in the evening. That's the time when Richard comes home from work. When he goes through the front door, he lights up the entire house with his big smile and enthusiasm. From that moment on, he will talk non-stop about anything and everything that happened to him during the day. Talking is his stress relief. Now that he's out of the country, the house will be a little more quiet save for Alyannah's occasional babble.


Sigh...I guess Richard's business trips is one part of being a Toyota wife that falls under the "I hate but there's nothing I can do about it" category. It's similar to gaining weight: you hate when it happens but there's really nothing you can do about it, except drown your misery in a bowl of vanilla ice cream with butterscotch and whipped cream.


Oh well, I hope "before you know it" happens soon...
We miss you, sweetie! Take care always! We love you!

No comments: