Tuesday, February 15, 2011

KCG 2011: Red Velvet Cupcakes

I haven't forgotten my cooking goals.  I just had a hard time choosing which one to do first.  Anyway, I decided to start with the red velvet cupcakes for Valentine's day.  I did some research and recipe comparisons and found out that the perfect red velvet cupcake should have the following characteristics:
a
  • Color should be a DRAMATIC RED;
  • Does not taste like a chocolate cake, but not like yellow cake either.  Just subtle hints of cocoa, "like a little kiss of chocolate on the cheek";
  • Moist, flavorful + rich
a
My red velvet cupcake with cream cheese frosting, sitting nicely on the heart-shaped plate that I got from my cousin-in-law Joanne.  Been saving it for Vday.  Thanks, Jo!
a
a
I can't believe I made this myself!
a
a
Perfect color.  I love it!
a
a
I still can't believe I made this!  Sorry, I can't get over it.
a
a
Bagay with Aly's shirt.
a
a
These red velvet cakes are love.  It had all the characteristics that I listed above: a dramatic red color, the right amount of chocolate, moist and soft...For me, it was perfect!  Pwedeng ilaban sa cupcakes na binibili ko sa Siam Square!
a
a
Here's the recipe.  Adapted from allrecipes.
a
a
Ingredients:
a
1 1/4 cups of flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
red food color -- the recipe calls for half a 1 oz. bottle of food color, but I didn't follow it.  I just added food color little by little until I got the right shade.  I was afraid that the cake might taste weird if I put too much food color so just use your own judgment on this.
a
a
Directions:
a
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Mix flour, cocoa powder, bakind soda and salt in medium bowl.  Set aside.
a
2. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Mix in sour cream, milk, vanilla and food color.  Gradually beat in flour mixture until just blended.  Do not overbeat.  Spoon batter into paper lined muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full.
a
3. Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.  Cool cupcakes on a wire rack.  Frost with vanilla cream cheese frosting. Makes 12-15 cupcakes.
a
a
For the cream cheese frosting, there are many recipes available online, so feel free to use your favorite one.
a
a
Happy baking!


No comments: