Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Two Lessons That I Learned on Mother's Day

This does not have anything to do with mommyness or family.  This is more um, fashion-related.  In fact, this is another shoe disaster.  Heehee!
a
a
Last Sunday, I decided to wear an old pair of flat shoes that's been sitting quietly at the bottom of my shoe boxes.  Now, this trusty old pair and I have been through a lot.  I wore these shoes when Richard and I went apartment hunting on my first trip to Bangkok.  It's quite an old pair; I bought them from Rustan's ATC two or three years ago.  But, like with any other shoe, it had to take a backseat when I eventually bought new ones.
a
a
So last Sunday, I wore them again.  But as I was walking to our seat at the back of the church, my right foot felt a little weird.  Once we were seated, I checked the shoe but I didn't find anything unusual. Moments later, I realized that the bottom of my right shoe looked different from the bottom of my left shoe -- the sole was about to come apart!  Oh gosh!  Silently, I was panicking.  What if the shoe comes apart during communion?  That would be really embarrassing!  So I prayed that my shoe will remain intact at least until after the mass.
a
a
I survived the mass and lunch without any shoe mishaps, but when we were in the car, my shoe finally gave up.
a
a

a
a
She gave up, just like that :(
a
a
Good thing I had rubber bands in my bag.  I had them there to use for Aly's chopsticks because we were planning to eat in a Japanese restaurant a couple of weeks back.  I'll tell you all about that rubber band - chopsticks thing once we've tried it on Aly.  So what I did was, I tied a rubber band around my shoe so it looked like this:
a
a
My rubber band-ed shoe.
a
a
Imagine I had to walk in the mall in those!  It gets worse: when we arrived at the mall, I really, really needed to pee!  My family and closest friends would know that when I say I need to pee, I really mean business because I can't hold it any longer.  As in now na!  I had to walk fast, but I couldn't because if I did, my shoe would totally be wrecked and that would be the end of me.
a
a
After what seemed like ten years, I made it to the toilet.  We bought my FitFlops (photos were taken at the FitFlop booth, by the way, in case you're wondering why the carpet's green) so I can walk normally and went home.  The end.
a
a
So what are the two lessons that I learned in Mother's Day?
a
#1 - It's good to have a couple of rubber bands in your bag.  You will never know when they will come in handy;
a
#2 - If you plan to wear an old pair of shoes, it would be very wise to check each and every inch of the shoe before you head out the door.  When in doubt, bring an extra pair or do not wear them at all.
a
a


No comments: