Monday, January 19, 2009

Remembering Lolo Pete


Me and my lolo back in the early 80's.

I finally found the courage to write this...

a
On 11 November 2008 around 11.30am, my Lolo Pete passed away. On that same day, my entire world stopped.
a
a
I found out thru my sister. She sent me a text message because she was at the hospital with him when he had a cardiac arrest. I called her. Then I cried. A lot. I wailed, I bawled. My hands shook, I felt weak and I lost the will to do anything. I managed to call my husband and asked him to come home because I was pretty useless at that point and someone had to pick up our daughter from school. We took the next available flight to Manila on that same night.
a
a
He didn't even make it to his birthday. It was supposed to be on 19 December. My cousin Joanne and I were planning a big surprise for him but it all came crashing down. I was so looking forward to coming home but not like this; not for my lolo's funeral.
a
a
You see, there are grandparents and there is THE grandparent who meant everything to you. Lolo Pete was the latter. I remember the last time I spoke with him before he passed away. We were chatting and the webcam was on. He wanted to thank me and my husband for the gift that we sent. I kept telling him that it was nothing and there was more to come on his birthday. We also made plans for him to come and visit us in Bangkok when he was feeling better. Then he started crying. Good thing I was standing up and I was out of the webcam's range or else he'd see that I was crying too. That's how my lolo was. It doesn't take much to please him so the smallest thing that you do really means a lot.
a
a
Let me share with you some photos and the eulogy that I wrote for my lolo.
a
a
When we were babies: Me, Lolo Pete and my cousin Chig.
a
a
Another early pic: Chig, Lolo Pete, Me, my brother Mick, my sister Angel and Lola Nene.
a
a
Lolo's birthday (can't remember the year): Me, my brother Jof (partly hidden), Angel, my cousin Kokoy, Lolo Pete, Mom, Lolo's helper Neneng, Chig and tito Vicstan.
a
a
Tito Jun's birthday (again, I forget the year): Me, tito Jun, Kokoy, Lolo Pete, Angel, Mom, Tita Papot, Big Moe.
a
a
During our wedding: Lolo Pete, Richard and Me.
a
a
Mom's 50th birthday: Angel, tita Papot and Lolo Pete.
a
a
Lolo's favorite pic.
To tell you the truth, writing my grandfather’s eulogy was difficult for me. It’s easy for me write about anything under the sun, but putting all of my lolo’s good traits into writing is a challenge because I don’t think I can ever do justice to what he achieved in his lifetime.

I have a lot of fond memories about my lolo. He was a doting grandfather who spoiled me and my cousins to no end. I remember when we were younger, we would have our weekly dates with our him at Shakey’s Magallanes. If we had requests that were not granted by our parents, lolo Pete was always there to save the day. I don’t remember a single incident where he got mad at his grandchildren. Never po syang nagalit sa mga apo nya. Kaya lolo Pete was our ultimate idol and his grandchildren were his biggest fans. We practically worshipped him. Para po yang artista kapag dumarating kasi lahat po kami sinasalubong sya. Kung may ginagawa man po kami, ititigil naming yun para salubungin si lolo. Our lolo always made us feel loved and he made sure that we knew it. To him, each one of us was his best apo – ang pinakamaganda, pinakagwapo o pinakamabait na apo. If we were able to give back feel even half of the love that our lolo made us feel, then I’m sure that he was very happy.

It doesn’t take a lot to please our lolo. The tiniest effort that you did for him becomes the biggest and best thing in the entire world. Kahit po gawan nyo lang sya ng tuna sandwich na galing sa lata, para sa kanya iyon na ang pinakamasarap na sandwich na natikman nya. Sasabihin nya na “it’s the best in the west”. If you make him instant coffee, it becomes the best coffee that can put Starbucks to shame. For our lolo, no small deed goes unnoticed and he will always let you know how much he appreciates what you did for him. I guess that’s his way of teaching us to always see the good side in everything.

So how do you say goodbye to someone that you hold close to your heart? The truth is you don’t. You never will. You can never say goodbye because they will remain in your heart forever.

We love you, lolo and we will miss you – we already do. Things are not the same now that you’re gone. We will miss your jokes, your funny stories, and best of all, your big, hearty laugh. Thank you for everything -- I wish I was able to say all of this to you in person, but I know that you are watching over us now in heaven. The world is now a less happy place now that you’re gone, but we know that you are in a better place now with lola Nene and tito Vicstan. Farewell, lolo Pete and may the angels guide you on your journey.

In behalf of our family, kami po ay nagpapasalamat sa lahat sa inyo na nakikiramay sa amin. Losing a loved one is never easy. It is always devastating. But seeing all of you here – seeing the number of people’s lives that our lolo Pete has touched, makes me feel honored to be his apo. He truly was a great man and his passing is a big loss not only for his family, but for a lot of people as well. Salamat po sa inyong lahat.



No comments: