Monday, October 6, 2008

Sunday Walking Market

I forgot to mention that our hotel is located inside Chiang Mai's old city. Sorta kinda like our very own Intramuros -- the brick road, the brick wall surrounding the area, the historic vibe, etc. They close the main road to traffic to give way to the Sunday market. This walking market is located along Ratchadamoen Road and our hotel is located right smack in the middle of it! Yeessss!!!
a
a
When I came out of the spa after my two-hour massage, I was delighted to see the street abuzz with shopping activity. After being let down by the Night Bazaar, I still had another chance to go shopping before flying back to Bangkok. However, I felt like I was coming down with something -- my throat felt painful, it was difficult for me to swallow anything, I had a headache and I was feeling feverish. It was really a bad time to get sick, but I didn't let this hold me back. Kahit masama pakiramdam ko, go pa rin! I didn't want to miss my last chance to go shopping. Besides, I have the entire week to rest at home. So while Richard was having his massage, my shopping buddy Alyannah and I scoped out the goods on sale. It was a quick trip. The heat and all that walking didn't do me any good so I felt weaker and sicker. After buying fried ice cream, buttered toast and a balloon for my little girl, we went back to the hotel to wait for Richard to finish his massage. My plan was to meet Richard at the lobby, have dinner and go back to the market. But it started drizzling so we had no choice but to have dinner at the hotel.



Wala akong gana kumain so I just had Tomato Cream Soup and garlic bread.



Aly had Spaghetti Bolognese. Richard had a gigantic cheeseburger, but I forgot to take a photo -- ang tagal kasi dumating ng order nya.



This is how the Sunday Market looked like when it was drizzling.



Tapos, bigla lumakas yung ulan so nawala yung mga tao.
a
a
It was still raining by the time we finished our dinner so we just went back to our room to watch dvd and wait for the rain to stop. Alyannah fell asleep while watching and when the movie ended, so did the rain. Richard and I sneaked out of the room for a quick trip to the market. This time, I brought Aly's digicam para madaling itago in case it rains again.
a
a
Parang walang nangyari. To think, it was raining pretty hard just a few minutes earlier. Tuloy pa rin ang ligaya!
a
a
Food stalls galore!
a
a
I bought sliced pineapples for a vitamin C boost.
a
a
Lemongrass juice
a
a
Fried larvae, anyone?
a
a
This is one of the reasons why I wanted to go back to the market. I really wanted to take a photo of the exotic stuff on sale and this is one of them. Too bad they were covered with plastic na when we came back. Umulan kasi eh.
a
a
Here's a better shot: fried crickets.
I just took photos. We did not buy any.
a
a
This is so cool: coffee mobile. He makes the coffee at the back of the van and outside is a big umbrella with chairs and tables. Kumpleto pa with an espresso machine, coffee grinder, different kinds of syrups, etc. Ang galing!
a
a
R+K at the Sunday Market.
We didn't get to buy anything, but at least we were able to take a souvenir shot.
a
a
The Sunday Market has more local flavor. I liked it better than the Night Bazaar. But I wasn't able to buy much -- just two ref magnets as a souvenir. Perhaps the reason why I got sick was because I wasn't able to buy anything...or maybe, I wasn't able to buy anything because I was sick? Hmmmm...

No comments: