Monday, September 13, 2010

Aly's First Book Purchase

Aly's school hosted a book fair last week and you know how excited our little girl can be when it comes to books.  She was more excited when we allowed her to bring her wallet to school so that she can buy a book on her own.  Too excited, that she woke up very early that day -- like, 3 or 5am early.  Heehee!  You see, Aly does not normally bring her wallet to school for two reasons: #1 she doesn't really need to spend on anything there, #2 she just might lose it.  This day was an exception.  Richard and I are also teaching Aly how to save and to spend her money wisely so we thought this would be the perfect time.
a
a
Aly's "baht wallet" as she calls it, and the receipts from her purchase.  She has two wallets where she keeps her money: one for her baht and another one for her peso so she can easily tell them apart.
a
a
The only test that I gave Aly to find out if she's ready to buy on her own was I asked her to give me the right amount of money.  The book that she wanted to buy was Thb275, so I asked her to give me that amount.  I was pleasantly surprised when she gave me the exact amount!  Wow!  My little girl is indeed ready to buy on her own!
a
a
When I picked her up that afternoon, she was wearing a huge smile on her face!  She told me that she bought a lot of stuff with her money.  This is what she bought:
a
a
Aly's first book purchase and she bought this all by herself with no help from mommy!  
a
a
She also got Clifford wallets for her and for her ate Gabbi; and a tic-tac-toe keychain for me and her daddy (share daw kami).  Isn't she the sweetest?
a
a
She was a little bit worried that her dad and I might get mad at her for "wasting her money" (her new term nowadays), but I told her that money is never wasted on books because you learn from them and you can read them over and over.  I also told her that buying stuff for other people is never a waste of money.  In fact, her dad and I are very proud because she remembered what we taught her about sharing her blessings and being generous.
a
a
I love how our little exercise turned out.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm teaching Aly the right stuff or if any of my reminders ever get to her.  But now I know that I am somehow getting to her.  I am really proud.  
a
a
Our next lesson is all about saving.  Let's see how it goes.

No comments: