Monday, June 1, 2009

Lens Love

Actually, let me rephrase that to Lens LUST because that's what I felt the moment I laid my hands on this baby.
a
a
Background kwento muna. It's been a year since we bought our dslr and although we've taken more than a thousand photos with it, I still have a LOT to learn about the many functions of our Canon EOS 400D. I bought the least technical photography book that I can find, but I still find myself putting it down the moment it gets too technical for me. Am I crazy or what?! Haha!
a
a
Our camera came with the standard 18-55mm Kit lens. Many times I wanted to kick myself for not paying a little extra for the Image Stabilizer (IS), one of which was during last year's Halloween party where I got a lot of blurry shots. Anyway, with Aly's school play and graduation coming up, I thought there's no better time to upgrade our lens than now. I find it so frustrating when you want to zoom in on certain subjects only to be limited by the lens. Nakakabitin and it totally ruins the shot.
a
a
So I did a little research and came across an article on Digital Photography School (DPS). Initially, my two options were either to buy a tripod or buy a new set of lens. Turns out, tripods and IS features do not go together. If you're using a tripod, you need to turn your IS off so I thought, I should buy lens with IS na lang. Based on the article on DPS, my best bet would be the Canon EF-S 17-85mm because it was the cheapest among the three options that were given and it's pretty much an all-purpose lens, which means you can go from wide-angle to zoom to macro with it.
a
a
Yesterday, we made a trip to Pantip Plaza to check the price of the Canon lens. The last shop that we went to was the same shop where I bought my extra batt a couple of months back. The salesguy remembered us and what I like about him is he really takes time to talk to you, present different options, explain the different functions, make comparisons, etc. He showed us the Canon lens and we were pretty much decided on the Canon, until he showed us the Sigma 18-200mm. Number pa lang, you can tell that the Sigma lens is a lot bigger than the Canon.
a
a
He let us try the lens on our camera. First, the Sigma then the Canon. Gosh, the Sigma lens looked so badass on our humble 400D, it was lust at first sight. The price wasn't so bad either. If Canon retailed for Thb11,800, Sigma was just a couple of hundreds more at Thb12,500. Canon 18-200mm is priced at Thb22+ so it really was a great deal. Plus, Sigma has Optical Stabilizer (their version of Canon's IS) and it came with a free lens hood which is something that Canon lenses don't usually come with. I just had to pay a little extra for the protective lens.
a
a
Anyway, without further ado, here is our new Sigma lens :)
a
aWith lens in normal position.
a
aLens fully extended.
a
a
It's heavier than our old lens, but look at what this baby can do. Take note that these photos were not cropped. The only alteration that I did was to resize (original size was 4mb).
a
a
I took this shot from our bedroom window, lens in normal position. Note the white and blue building on the left.
a
a
Zoomed halfway.
a
a
Maximum zoom, lens fully extended.
a
a
I tilted the camera a bit downwards and this is what I saw. Awesome!! I have to admit, nanlula ako when I was playing around with it yesterday.
a
a
I cannot say more about the lens for now. Like I said, I still have much to learn about taking photos and using the camera's different functions. At the moment, I am just thrilled to have this amazing gadget, this awesome piece of technology and I can't wait to use it on Aly's school play and graduation. I reckon that there will be lots of parents fighting over the prime spots in front of the stage to get a better view of the children performing, so I'm confident that if I don't find a nice spot, I can rely on my new super powered lens to give me a good shot. Hehe!
a
a
Let me leave you with the first shots that I took using none other than my favorite model, Aly.
a
a
Aly watching High School Musical.
a
a
Aly smiling for mommy.
a
a
P.S - I know I said this many times already yesterday but, thank you again, Sweetie for the lens! I love you!

No comments: