Monday, June 1, 2009

Her Madgesty the Queen

I may have mentioned on this blog at one time or another that I am a huge fan of Madonna. This explains why her books deserve a separate post. She's a queen, she's a diva. Divas do not share the spotlight with anyone. Hehe!
a
a
Madonna and I go way, way back. I was in fourth grade when I bought my first Madonna poster and hung it proudly in my room in Las Pinas. I think I even brought it when we moved to a new house in Alabang.
a
a
Just recently, I almost registered for her fan club online, only to stop short when I had to enter my credit card number and pay for USD50 to get the complete fan club privileges. I'm a fan of her music and performances, alright, but I just wasn't ready to shell out that much money. I will just admire freely. Haha!
a
a
Last week I bought two Madonna books.
a
a
Life With My Sister Madonna (LWMSM) by Christopher Ciccone, and Madonna Inspirations.
a
a
LWMSM drew a lot of attention when it was published a couple of years back because it showed Madonna in a somewhat bad light. Written by her brother, Christopher, it showed us the Madonna that he knew; that he grew up with, which is different from the "constructed public persona" that we all know. In other words, the book kinda says masama ang ugali ng lola mo. Well, kahit ano pa ang sabihin niya o nila, I still remain a true blue fan because above all, it's the music and the artistry that I admire. It was an interesting read. The author shared stories behind her concert tours, what goes on backstage, what happens after, etc.
a
a
I was also telling my husband the other day that when I read the book, I found out that Madonna and I had so many things in common! Ok, it might sound wishful thinking (illusyonada is more like it!), but apart from the obvious (the singing) see here: Madonna likes making lists. Hello! I make all sorts of lists too: grocery lists, to-do's, wishlists complete with tick boxes! She also has an affinity for white stuff. Her dressing rooms are always painted white because she says that she looks better with a white background. Fans and admirers send her white flowers because they know that's what she likes. Duh? I have a white laptop with matching white mouse and white external memory! And when I buy stuff, I usually lean towards white. Gosh! Are we twins of what?! Haha!
a
a
Negativity aside, I think the book showed Madonna for what she really is: she truly is the queen of pop. She worked hard to get where she is now and if she is a diva, she deserves it because she rocks!
a
a
As if to validate or debunk the stuff that Christopher Ciccone wrote in LWMSM, I bought a DVD of one of her documentaries, I'm Gonna Tell You A Secret, and I watched it last night. It's about her Re-Invention Tour and the statement that she wanted to make (political and all). I didn't bother much with the politics because I was too mesmerized by her performances. She is not only a singer, but she is an artist, a performer. Ang galing galing! As for the book, it was the opposite of what I saw on film. She wasn't a bad person at all. She was, in fact very kind to her dancers, crew and assistant. Then again, that could have been scripted.
a
a
Okay, enough about the biography. Let me share with you the other book that I bought, Madonna Inspirations. It's a compilation of black and white photos, illustrations and quotes from Madonna that people can draw inspiration from. I got it on sale (50% off!). I also bought it because at the back it says: "This book is essential for any Madonna fan and anyone who is interested to know how Madonna thinks." I was sold on the words "essential" and "fan". Haha!
a
a
Let me share with you some of her quotes:
a
a
"You can't sit around worrying about people disliking you because they're always going to be there".
a
a
"I wanted to do everything everybody told me I couldn't do"
a
a
"The person who was negative will bring negativity back towards himself"
a
a
And my #1 fave: "I'm tough, I'm ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a b*tch...Ok." Yeah, baby! Madonna, you rock!



No comments: