Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Japanese Dinner at Home

There are a lot of Japanese restaurants in Bangkok so whenever the craving hits me us, it's really easy to just eat out or pick up the phone, order Japanese and have it delivered at home.  The other night though, I was in a Martha Stewart mood so I cooked at home.
a
a
Complete with Japanese-ish table setting.  My kitchen is totally not geared for a Japanese dinner hence, the mismatched plates.  Heehee!  Will make it prettier next time :)  I served real Japanese rice though!  I bought it from the grocery earlier that day.  It was my first time to cook gohan (Japanese rice) too.  It turned out ok.
a
a
Yasai Itame (stir-fried vegetables) and Chicken Teriyaki.
a
a
Here's how I did it:
a
a
Yasai itame - I used carrots, cabbage, young corn and enoki mushrooms (instead of the usual bean sprouts).  It was my first time to cook with enoki mushrooms so I didn't know if I should blanch them or stir fry right away.  Just to be sure, I blanched them first for about 10 seconds.  I simply sauteed the veggies in canola oil with garlic and onions; seasoned with light soy sauce and drizzled a little sesame oil once cooked.  That's it.  Easy peasy.
a
a
Chicken teriyaki - I kinda cheated with this because I used bottled sauce.  Heehee!  I used Kikkoman, though.  You can't go wrong with Kikkoman, right?  I just marinated boneless chicken thighs in Kikkoman Teriyaki sauce for at least an hour, grilled in my super oven until done, chopped into serving pieces and drizzled with a little more teriyaki sauce before serving.  That's it.  Simple as that!
a
a
Japanese at home?  Pwede na!




No comments: