Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Our First Year

Before we proceed with my summer vacation kwento, let's backtrack a little so I can tell you all about our Bangkok anniversary. I know, this is a late post, natabunan kasi ng excitement and preps for our vacation so I didn't have time to put this up earlier. Anyway, here it is.
a
a
28 March 2009 marked our first year here in Bangkok. For our first anniversary issue (naks! akala mo magazine!), I interviewed Richard and Aly on their Bangkok favorites. Syempre, kasama rin ako. Heehee! Here it goes:
a
a
FAVORITE THAI FOOD
Alyannah (A): Khao Phad Goong (Fried rice with shrimp)
Richard (R): Phad Thai (stir fried noodles)
Krisan (K): Tom Yum Goong (hot and sour soup with shrimp)
a
a
FAVORITE THAI DRINK (or any drink that we discovered here in Thailand)
A: Tipco Apple Juice
R: Singha beer
K: Chrysanthemum tea (Yes, the flower. The taste reminds me of our local gulaman with pandan)
a
a
FAVORITE RESTAURANT
A: Pizza Company
R: Bai Mai La Leung (Thai restaurant)
K: Toh Plue (Thai restaurant in Chatuchak)
a
a
FAVORITE TOURIST ATTRACTION
A: Crocodile Farm + Safari World
R: Crocodile Farm + Pattaya
K: Wat Pho + Chao Phraya River
a
a
FAVORITE MALL/SHOPPING PLACE
A: Central World + Siam Paragon
R: Emporium + Pantip Plaza
K: Pratunam, Sampeng Lane, Chatuchak + Siam Paragon
a
a
FAVORITE STORE
A: Kinokuniya Bookstore + Zara
R: Kinokuniya
K: Kinokuniya + Zara
a
a
FAVORITE DESSERT
A: Royce chocolates
R: Mango with sticky rice + frozen yoghurt
K: Pancake roti, mango with sticky rice + frozen yoghurt.
a
a
What else have we learned so far? We still can't speak Thai, but I am proud to say that we at least know how to count in Thai! It comes in handy when you buy from the markets. We also know how to say how much (Thao rai). Halata bang lahat ng natutunan namin are either related to eating or shopping? Haha!
a
a
More than anything, we learned the true value of being a family. We were able to survive living in a new country that speaks a different language, with no relatives and friends, by sticking together. That way, new discoveries and adventures were made with the people that matter the most.
a
a
Our Bangkok stint will definitely provide a lot of wonderful memories and learning experiences for me and my family, but I am still looking forward to the day when we will go back home and live happily ever after in our dream house in Tagaytay. I may have learned to love my life here in the City of Angels, but I left my heart in the Philippines :)

No comments: